Teen bitten by a snake in Texas was flown to Arizona to get nearest supply of anti-venom medicine

Mail Online | 4/9/2019 | Mary Kekatos Health Reporter For Dailymail.com
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/09/23/12072648-0-image-a-82_1554847404888.jpg

Anthony Rodriguez was playing soccer with friends when the ball got away and he went into tall grass to retrieve it.

That's when a rattlesnake bit his left big toe and the 17-year-old had to be rushed to his local hospital in San Antonio, Texas.

Doctors - Medication - Rodriguez - Face - Point

Doctors administered traditional antivenom medication, but Rodriguez's face began to swell up to the point where he couldn't open his eyes, reported Fox 10.

A new antivenom drug had just been approved by the FDA but the hospital didn't have it.

Teen - Miles - Banner - University - Medical

So the teen, who is now recovering, had to be airlifted 962 miles to Banner University Medical Center-Phoenix in Arizona, which did carry it, so he could be treated.

'I went in [the grass] and I grabbed the ball, and on my way back I stepped on something and heard a snake rattle under me,' Rodriguez told Fox 10 Phoenix. 'And I heard it hiss and it just bit me I guess.'

Bites - Poison - Victim - Humans

Rattlesnake bites are venomous, meaning they inject a poison into the victim, but they don't normally bite humans unless they are provoked or feel threatened.

Symptoms of bites include bleeding, difficulty breathing, blurred vision, change in skin color and numbness.

Hospital - Medication - Doctors - Wound - Bandage

Until you can get to a hospital for antivenom medication, doctors recommend washing the wound and then applying a bandage.

On rare occasions, a person bitten by a snake can go into anaphylactic shock.

Rattlesnakes - Majority - Snakebites - US - Year

Rattlesnakes are responsible for the majority of the 7,000 snakebites that occur in the US each year, but fewer than five people die from them, according to Medical News Today.

Rodriguez was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!