3D PRINTING TURNS HEAVY METAL: ROCK LEGEND YNGWIE MALMSTEEN FAILS TO BREAK SANDVIK’S SMASH-PROOF 3D PRINTED GUITAR

3D Printing Industry | 4/9/2019 | Tia Vialva

From Jimi Hendrix to Kurt Cobain – the guitar smash is a signature move shared by many rock legends. But what, if anything, does it have to do with additive manufacturing? In an unusual case study, Swedish engineering group Sandvik has identified these destructive rock’n’roll moments as an opportunity to demonstrate its advanced production techniques. As a result, the firm has produced the “world’s first smash-proof 3D printed guitar”.

Featuring a 3D printed titanium body, and a neck supported by Sandvik’s hyper-duplex steel technology, this instrument has a super strength proven to have rock-legends beaten. Putting it to the test, Sandvik challenged acclaimed guitar player and smasher Yngwie Malmsteen to break it (Spoiler alert: even with these mean skills demonstrated below, he couldn’t).

Yngwie - Malmsteen - Attempt - Guitar - GIF

Yngwie Malmsteen’s futile attempt at smashing the smash-proof 3D printed guitar. GIF via Sandvik.

Malmsteen, a heavy metal veteran and named as one of the greatest electric guitar players in the world by TIME magazine, has been smashing guitars onstage for over 30 years. In a video from Sandvik however, it appears he has finally met his match. Following a live performance, playing the guitar, Malmsteen was unable to leave even a dent in its case. “This guitar is a beast! Sandvik is obviously on top of their game. They put the work in, they do their hours, I can relate to that,” Malmsteen commented.

RESULT - IS - AMAZING - EVERYTHING - BUT

“THE RESULT IS AMAZING. I GAVE EVERYTHING I HAD, BUT IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO SMASH.”

Sandvik employed the skills of renowned guitar designer Andy Holt, of Drewman Guitars, to help design the instrument. Before building the guitar, Sandvik utilized the simulation processes that car makers use to digitally crash-test vehicles. This was done to determine potential impact forces for the guitar, in order to ensure the durability of the instrument.

Body - Guitar

The body of the guitar was additively...
(Excerpt) Read more at: 3D Printing Industry
Wake Up To Breaking News!