JAN MOIR: The saddest bit of Fleabag’s finale? Having to say goodbye...

Mail Online | 4/9/2019 | Jan Moir for the Daily Mail
TaylorShaye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/09/00/12027104-0-image-a-4_1554765107369.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/04/08/2714242940008350988/1024x576_MP4_2714242940008350988.mp4

Goodbye to darling Fleabag, who wiped her tears dry before leaving us last night with a smile and a final wave.

With only one backward glance she strode off into the night and a future that seemed to hold a spark of promise, at last.

It might not have been a happy ending, it was very far from a fairytale ending, but it was absolutely the perfect ending.

Writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who also stars as Fleabag herself, gave us a finale that was redemptive, unsentimental and beautiful. There were no dramatic shocks, thank goodness.

Bolts - Histrionics - Implosion - Brother-in-law - Martin

No unlikely bolts from heaven on high and no histrionics, unless you count the implosion of creepy brother-in-law Martin (Brett Gelman) when Claire (Sian Clifford) told him she was leaving.

'I'm not a bad guy, I just have a bad personality,' he roared, before erroneously and egotistically concluding that 'the thing you hate most about yourself is that you actually love me'.

Fleabag - Priest - Andrew - Scott - Thorn

And no, Fleabag did not end up with her hot priest (Andrew Scott) because that would have been too ridiculous, like The Thorn Birds meets Bad Bridget Jones.

'I can't have sex with you because I will fall in love with you. I won't burst into flames, but my life will be ruined,' he told her.

He did, he did, he didn't and it wasn't.

For the longest time, I suspected he was a fake priest; some damaged apostate who would lead our girl down the rocky road of gins-in-tins and mendacity until they grilled together in ****.

Waller-Bridge - Man

Yet Waller-Bridge is far too clever for that. He turned out to be a real man...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!