Date night checklist: Dinner, movie... virtual reality?

CNET | 4/5/2019 | Ian Sherr
blockstyle (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/T6BVdILXExpjRUmLr_S6_iTfABI=/756x567/2018/09/26/e01bbc23-0836-467f-9f37-0c4032a883df/oculus-connect-5-oculus-quest-1917.jpg

I see a floating walkway through the opened door of my spacecraft. I pause a moment to get my bearings, then -- WHOOSH -- I'm hit with the bright light and heat of boiling lava a few feet away. Stormtroopers stand to my right, blaster rifles in hand in case things get messy.

See more great stories from CNET Magazine.

Spies - Part - Stormtrooper - Regalia - Things

My fellow intergalactic spies and I are dressed for the part, wearing full Stormtrooper regalia so we won't get noticed. So far, things have been going smoothly.

I steady myself as the moving platform beneath my feet makes its way to an ominous-looking castle surrounded by a sea of lava. Hot air blows on my face, and I can't stop staring at the spectacular view of the boiling ocean that surrounds me.

Moment - Convention - Center - San - Jose

For a moment I actually forget I'm in a convention center in San Jose, California, where I'm wearing a virtual reality headset and playing Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire.

I've been a Star Wars fan since I was old enough to say "May the force be with you," swing a toy lightsaber and dream of living in a "galaxy far, far away." I've played the games, collected the toys, read the books, ridden the amusement park rides and (obviously) watched the movies and the TV shows.

Movies - Video - Games - Separation - Star

"Watching movies, playing video games, there's always been a separation between you and the Star Wars universe," says Mohen Leo, director of immersive content at Lucasfilm's ILMxLab experimental storytelling group.

Which explains why I couldn't wait to play The Void's Star Wars game and actually feel as if I lived in that world. When my son, 2, gets old enough, he'll probably be joining me. A lot.

Evenings - Weekends

That's because how we spend our evenings and weekends out is set to change radically. As more of us shop from our...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!