Emilio Estevez Left Studio Films for Indies: ‘My Accountant Curses that Choice — Still’

IndieWire | 4/4/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/P_02067.jpg

Emilio Estevez puts his money where his mouth is: More than two decades ago, after headlining some of the most era-defining youth-culture hits of the 1980s — “The Outsiders,” “The Breakfast Club,” “St. Elmo’s Fire” — he left the studios behind and rebranded himself an independent filmmaker.

Alec Baldwin on 'SNL' Trump Impression: 'Whether I Do It Much Longer Remains To Be Seen'

Alec - Baldwin - National - Emergency - 'SNL

Alec Baldwin Declares a National Emergency on 'SNL': 'Wall Works'

“My accountant curses that choice — still,” Estevez said. “Like, ‘How we gonna? … You’re 20 years in arrears.’ He doesn’t really sound like that, but it sounds like that to me. I finally just said, ‘I’m not gonna participate in the types of films other people want me to make. I’m gonna make films that matter to me.’” Estevez even went so far as to self-distribute his last movie, “The Way,” starring his father Martin Sheen as a man who walks Spain’s famed pilgrim’s trail, the Camino de Santiago.

Movie - Public - April - Release - Universal

Nor is his latest movie, “The Public,” opening April 5 in a limited theatrical release from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment Content Group before going to VOD and streaming later this year. It’s the story of an addict in recovery, Stuart (Estevez), who’s turned his life around by becoming a librarian. Most of the action is set at the Cincinnati public library (Stuart’s colleagues are played by Jeffrey Wright and Jena Malone) over the span of a single day. A deep freeze is compelling the homeless men (including Michael K. Williams) who congregate at the library each day to insist upon staying after closing time so they can use the library as a shelter from the potentially lethal temperatures. Stuart, having once been homeless himself, sides with the men in what becomes a standoff, with law enforcement looking to literally turn them...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." - Alexander Hamilton