China Bullied U.N. Delegates Away from Panel on Oppression of Muslims

Breitbart | 4/1/2019 | Staff
smnth28 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2019/01/xinjiang-china-muslim-indoctrination-camp.png

China warned United Nations delegates against attending a U.S.-backed panel last month focused on Beijing’s human rights violations against Muslims in Xinjiang where the Asian giant is allegedly detaining hundreds of thousands of ethnic minorities in so-called “re-education centers,” Human Rights Watch (HRW) reported Monday.

John Fisher, HRW’s Geneva director, declared:

Years - China - Scenes - UN - Rights

For years China has worked behind the scenes to weaken UN human rights mechanisms. But the growing global outcry over its mistreatment of Xinjiang’s Muslims has sent China into panic mode, using public as well as private pressure to block concerted international action. …It speaks volumes that China felt it necessary to twist arms and mount propaganda displays to try to suppress scrutiny of its rights record. Now it’s up to governments to take action at the June Council session and show that China is being held to international rights standards.

Citing a March 7 letter it obtained from Chinese Amb. Yu Jianhua to U.N. delegates in Geneva, Switzerland, ahead of the U.N. panel discussion, HRW reported that China used “pressure and warnings” to suppress criticism and to present a false account of its rights record, threatening countries with “negative consequences to their bilateral relationship,” among other things, if they attended.

Interest - Relations - Cooperation - Delegation - Mind

“In the interest of our bilateral relations and continued multilateral cooperation, I hereby kindly request your delegation, bearing in mind the political motivation behind the above-mentioned side event, not to co-sponsor, participate in or be present at this side event,” the Chinese ambassador wrote.

In addition to the letter, HRW learned from unnamed U.N. delegates “that Chinese diplomats had personally approached them and warned them not to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?