Apple pioneer Bill Fernandez speaks out on AR, VR and the design of the future

CNET | 4/1/2019 | Jason Hiner
Kezzerxx (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/cI-bKP2lL9LyCTQQAQ6iyXpJl7w=/724x407/2014/12/08/21d8ae9b-2351-44ed-ab0f-a9e05f894582/fernandez-japan-1979.jpg

Bill Fernandez holds an Apple I.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This article was originally published on December 8, 2014 and is being republished today to commemorate Apple's 43rd anniversary (April 1, 1976).

Apple - Bill - Fernandez - Shotgun - Creation

At Apple, Bill Fernandez rode shotgun on the creation of the personal computer industry. He was on the original Mac team that made decisions that defined the modern user experience. He worked on QuickTime, which helped define Web video. He worked on HyperCard, which helped inspire HTML and the Web. So clearly, the man has some ideas about what makes a user interface work.

He also gets props for this: He's the guy who introduced Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak.

Fernandez - Employee - Apple - Computer - Inc

Fernandez became the first official full-time employee at what was then known as Apple Computer Inc. Except for a brief absence early on, he remained with Apple until 1993 and became an expert in user interfaces.

I wrote an in-depth feature on TechRepublic about Fernandez's remarkable career. During the interviews with Fernandez, I got to pick his brain about the current state of user interfaces, his take on cutting-edge technologies, and what's next in computing. Not all of that material made it into the TechRepublic long form article, so I've pulled it together here -- there's a lot of wisdom about today's challenges in UI and a gut check on the sci-fi visions of the future.

Fernandez - Comments - Topics

I broke down Fernandez's comments into the most forward-looking topics.

"The true user interface is the gestalt of many things: industrial design, ergonomics, internal hardware, performance, error handling, visual design, interaction, latency, reliability, predictability, and more. For this reason I'm glad to see my profession moving from the concept of user "interface" (where the user interacts with the screen) to user 'experience' (where more the above factors are considered)," said Fernandez.

Interface - World

"I can design the best user interface in the world...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!