'Santa Clarita Diet' Creator on Future of Zombie Comedy Amid Netflix's Three-Season "Templates"

The Hollywood Reporter | 4/1/2019 | Hilary Lewis
gracey (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/2019/04/scd_301_unit_00126_r2_1.jpg

The third season of Netflix's Drew Barrymore- and Timothy Olyphant-led zombie comedy, Santa Clarita Diet, ended with Olyphant's Joel Hammond finally making a decision about whether he wanted to become undead like his wife and fellow realtor Sheila (Barrymore) so they could spend eternity together.

Joel lets Sheila turn him by biting him, and he greets her with "hello" in the closing seconds of the season-three finale.

Show - Fate - Friday - Fresco - Team

When asked about the show's fate on Friday, Fresco said that he and his team didn't "know anything" and that nothing had been decided about whether the show would be renewed or canceled.

"We're aware that the show gets more expensive every year; we're aware of what seems like templates of [Netflix's] studio stuff is now, it looks like, mostly three-season stuff," he says, seemingly confirming a recent report that the streamer now appears to have a two- or three-season business model for many series. "We know they like the show. I like to say the humans there seem to love the show; I don't know how the algorithm feels about us, and the algorithm makes a lot of decisions, ultimately. So I just don't know."

Season - Fresco - Run

If there is a fourth season, Fresco says it could be the last one but that he'd envisioned a five-season run or, ideally, even more.

"I could see a scenario where the fourth year is the last year," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I sort of imagined it going five years — that seemed about right to me. I think the relationship is interesting and fun and emotional and loving enough that you could want to stay with the Hammonds for a long time because they're wonderful, so there's always stuff there for us to mine. The rest is just story work, which we can certainly do. I think we're introducing a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Hollywood Reporter
Wake Up To Breaking News!