Mormons will soon drink coffee! Debunking a dubious General Conference rumor

Religion News Service | 3/30/2019 | Staff
newusr01 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Coffee.jpg

For weeks now I’ve been seeing a persistent rumor circulating in social media: that the prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Russell M. Nelson, is about to lift the ban on Mormons’ drinking caffeinated coffee and tea.

Now before I go on the record as saying that I think this rumor is, at best, wishful thinking on the part of people who would like to gulp down a guilt-free frappuccino, let me out myself as an utter failure at giving credence to other early rumors when those rumors did, in fact, wind up bearing fruit.

Column - Year - People - LDS - Church

To wit: I wrote a column nearly a year ago saying that people who believed that the LDS Church was about to shorten its Sunday services to two hours instead of three were completely off base, and if I was wrong I would eat my hat.

Here is the follow-up post in which I described what it tasted like to eat my hat.

Point - % - Grain - Salt - Coffee

The point is that I’ve been 100% wrong before, so you should take what I’m about to say with a grain of salt in your aforementioned coffee: I do not believe this rumor.

One of the reasons I don’t believe it is that my own research, which does not have any bearing on the matter, has been cited on social media as proof that the prophet is about to loosen the church’s restriction against coffee.

Coffee - Surprise

Say what? If I had been drinking coffee, I would have spat it out in surprise when I saw that.

For the record, the Next Mormons Survey did find that:

Millennial - GenX - Saints - United - States

Four in ten Millennial and GenX Latter-day Saints in the United States said they had consumed caffeinated coffee at some point in the last six months. Benjamin Knoll and I found this to be surprisingly high, as you can see in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Aim and timing is evereything.