Romania Files Charges Against Former Chief Anti-Corruption Prosecutor

www.oann.com | 2/15/2019 | Staff
MysticHeartMysticHeart (Posted by) Level 3
BUCHAREST (Reuters) – A Romanian agency tasked with investigating magistrates has filed criminal charges against former chief anti-corruption prosecutor Laura Codruta Kovesi and banned her from leaving the country for two months, it said on Friday.

Kovesi is a frontrunner to become the European Union’s first fraud prosecutor, despite opposition from Romania’s ruling Social Democrats who forced her out of the country’s anti-corruption prosecuting unit DNA last year.

SIIJ - Social - Democrats - Year - Slew

The SIIJ was set up by the Social Democrats last year among a slew of judicial system changes, prompting a European Commission warning that Romanian magistrates – judges and prosecutors – were vulnerable to political intimidation.

On Friday, the SIIJ said it has charged Kovesi with taking a bribe, abuse of office and giving false testimony, without providing details of the case.

Kovesi - Wrongdoing - Case - Public - Country

It banned Kovesi, who has denied any wrongdoing, from discussing the case in public. She also cannot leave the country without express permission and must regularly check in with police officials.

“I am not allowed to tell you anything of what happened here today,” she told reporters late on Thursday after an hours-long hearing at SIIJ. “I think this is a measure to shut me up, of not saying what is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!