Joaquin Phoenix’s ‘Joker’ Is the ‘Character Study of a Mentally Ill Person,’ Says Marc Maron

IndieWire | 3/28/2019 | Staff
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Screen-Shot-2018-09-21-at-1.29.09-PM.png

While the superhero movie genre is currently Marvel crazy thanks to the success of “Captain Marvel” and the upcoming “Avengers: Endgame,” Warner Bros. and DC could be the only thing superhero fans are talking about come the fall. “The Hangover” director Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix are putting their own stamp on an iconic Batman villain in “Joker,” an R-rated prequel film that is bound to attract a lot of attention. The movie stars Phoenix as a failed stand-up comedian named Arthur Fleck who is driven insane and becomes the Joker. The film co-stars Marc Maron, who recently teased the project in an interview with NME.

“I think it’s a very interesting approach to this world,” Maron said of “Joker.” “I’ve been somewhat judgemental when it comes to comic book movies and I’ve got a little pushback in the press for being a hypocrite…The approach that Todd Phillips has taken is more of an origin story and a character study of a mentally ill person that becomes The Joker. It’s more of an intimate and gritty movie with a very specific scope. It’s going to be really interesting to see how it comes out.”

Maron - Movies - Chance - Scenes - Phoenix

Maron has been critical about superhero movies but said he couldn’t pass up the chance to act in scenes opposite Phoenix and Robert De Niro. The latter is playing a popular late night talk show host who somehow plays a part in Arthur’s psychological downfall and transformation into the Joker.

“If you get a call and someone says, ‘Hey do you wanna do a scene with Robert De Niro and Joaquin Phoenix?’ your principals fall to the wayside,”...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!