Jason Mitchell on Overcoming His Fear of Horses for ‘The Mustang’ and ‘The Chi’ Season 2

Collider | 3/26/2019 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/the-mustang-jason-mitchell-matthias-schoenaerts-600x390.jpg

From writer/director Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre and executive producer Robert Redford, the drama The Mustang tells the story of convict Roman Coleman (Matthias Schoenaerts), a man struggling to come to terms with his violent past. While locked up in a rural Nevada prison, he is required to participate in a state-mandated social rehabilitation program that pairs inmates with wild horses for training, in the hopes that maybe he’ll also be able to rediscovery his own humanity.

During this 1-on-1 phone interview with Collider, actor Jason Mitchell (who plays Henry, a fellow inmate and experienced horse trainer) talked about why he wanted to be a part of telling this story, his desire to overcome his fear of horses, what he liked about his character, and the experience of working with co-star Matthias Schoenaerts. He also talked about what he’s enjoyed about being a part of the Showtime series The Chi, making Zola with writer/director Janicza Bravo, and his desire to show people that there are many different layers to him.

Collider - Film - Story

Collider: I thought this was a really beautiful film with a very emotional story. When you read this, what did you find yourself most interested in or drawn in by?

JASON MITCHELL: I’ve been afraid of horses, pretty much my entire life, but I always try to challenge myself to show a different face. When I read this script, I was like, “This doesn’t just challenge me on camera, this challenges me in life. This is potentially skills that I can leave with, and nobody can ever take that from me.” Part of that was overcoming that fear. So, besides working with the amazing cast that I got to work with, that was pretty much the main perk. The fact that I would be able to really overcome a fear was big to me.

It’s not...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!