Huawei P30 Pro vs. Galaxy S10 Plus: Camera comparison in Paris

CNET | 3/26/2019 | Andrew Hoyle
hubbog (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/H5B_npjBWcNPDWLAwanerKdxgPI=/724x407/2019/03/25/d3abea80-75d3-4b38-82ae-b6de2c87e5ae/blunderbuss-pro-7.jpg

Huawei thinks its P30 Pro's four cameras can outshoot the Galaxy S10 Plus. Is it right?

With four cameras on the back, Huawei is hoping that the P30 Pro has the imaging skills to take on the Galaxy S10 Plus's mere three cameras. But how well do these phones take photos of architecture, food and low-light situations? When you're wandering the beautiful streets of Paris, which of these two phones will you want by your side?

Huawei - Phones - City - Lights - Shooter

I took both of Huawei's new phones through the City of Lights to see which is the superior shooter.

Both phones have captured a vibrant image underneath this willow tree but the P30 Pro took much more detail in the shadows from the tree trunk itself.

Shot - Notre - Dame - Bit - Punchier

This wide shot of Notre Dame is a bit punchier on the S10 Plus, and the phone's wider-angle lens captured more of the scene compared to the P30 Pro.

But it's the zoom that really sets these two phones apart.

S10 - Zoom - Zoom - Details - Building

While the S10 zoom's 2x zoom helps close in on the details of the building, it's no match for the P30 Pro's 5x optical zoom or its huge 10x hybrid zoom, a mix of digital and optical, which let me get right up close to the Notre Dame's front. Even if I digitally cropped into the S10 Plus's zoomed shot of the building so it matches the Huawei's zoom, it loses so much information that all the details become rather mushy. The P30 Pro's zoom keeps a lot of that detail, resulting in a much crisper shot.

It's genuinely impressive that a phone camera is able to achieve this level of zoom and still produce a usable image.

Drying - Wings - P30 - Pro - Zoom

Later on, I found this cormorant drying off its wings and again this is where the P30 Pro's zoom comes into its own.

I was able to zoom...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!