Let Go of the Life You Wanted

Desiring God | 3/25/2019 | Greg Morse
Emzah92 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/let-go-of-the-life-that-should-have-been-ojje2i4q-en/landscape/let-go-of-the-life-that-should-have-been-ojje2i4q-415ab14abe2d46e9e8e1ce77a8d638c6.jpg?ts=1553110100&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

“I have nothing to show for my life,” he said.

“No career. Few friends. No spouse. No financial future. Nothing. I’m enslaved to debt, struggle with childhood sins, and have little left to hope for. Don’t hear me say something I’m not, but many days, I wonder why I am still here.”

Season - Youth - Dreams - Expectations - Company

The season of youth had past. Dead dreams and wrinkled expectations kept him company each night with his pets. He described his life the way Anne of Green Gables had: “My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes.” And many of his hopes went into the casket alive.

Time picked at his wounds. He felt anger towards church members who betrayed him, resentful towards employees who cheated him, embittered that others had what he only longed for. He had been fighting his sin the best he could — and this is how God repaid him?

Disappointment - Youth - Sun - Life - Undertaker

Disappointment seemed easier to bear in his youth, but now the sun began to set. Where was the life he always imagined? He stood an undertaker to hopes gone by.

What if you look back, like my friend, and all you see is a graveyard of buried dreams, an egg that never hatched, great things that never came, years that passed as a sigh? What do you do when the life that should have been finally escapes the rearview mirror?

Hope - Heart - Sick - Proverbs - Job

We must acknowledge that a “hope deferred makes the heart sick” (Proverbs 13:12). If the job never comes, the spouse is never found, the wound never heals, then the delay (and death) of good things should make tears run their course. But the day must come when we lay aside the weight of an unrealized life and run the actual race set before us, looking to Jesus (Hebrews 12:2).

Christ teaches this when he says to “remember Lot’s wife”...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: