The Errington sub-aqua expedition to “Walton castle”, 1969 – the press clippings

Roger Pearse | 3/25/2019 | Staff
Tanya9 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/mercury_pic1.png

The ruins of the Roman fort of the Saxon shore at Felixstowe, known as “Walton Castle”, were examined in 1969 by a team of divers from the Ipswich branch of the British Sub-Aqua club, led by Geoff Errington. Ipswich museum liason was Elizabeth Owles, although I have yet to locate the survey report filed with the museum.

This morning I met Geoff Errington (now aged 75) at his business, Dive Line, in Ipswich. He lent me two clippings from local newspapers. I attach images as a PDF below, but I thought that I would transcribe these here.

Articles - Dip - Fact - Ravine - Cut

Usefully the articles confirm that “the Dip” is in fact a ravine cut in the soft sand by a freshwater stream, and now brought under the cliff road by a pipe discharging on the beach. The angle of the ruins is correct – the walls run even closer to the beach than might be supposed.

The first, shorter article, was in the East Anglian Daily Times on December 15, 1969; the other in more detail was in the Mercury, on December 19, 1969, page 8. The latter included a sketch map of the site, based upon a drawing by Geoff Errington.

East - Daily - Times

From the East Anglian Daily Times:

Divers stand in the sea near a bastion of Walton castle, which the sea has engulfed but not entirely destroyed.

Sea - Felixstowe - Roman - Castle - Secrets

Long submerged in the sea off Felixstowe, a Roman castle has yielded up some of its secrets to a team of amateur divers.

Yesterday, when a low tide exposed great chunks of a corner bastion, they concluded their first season of survey dives.

Divers - Walls - Distances - Bastion—after - Centuries

The divers have found that at least two walls still extend unimagined distances from the tumbled bastion—after 17 centuries of assault by armed men, stone robbers, cliff falls and the pluck and knock of powerful waves.

Yesterday’s high wind, gusting to gale...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Roger Pearse
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I love to post, but I never read the article!