How Miranda Hobbes Became the Face of Underappreciated Women Fighting Back

TVGuide.com | 3/25/2019 | Sadie Gennis
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2019/03/14/a7813514-8a69-443b-836e-e65c90715028/thumbnail/1300x867/98788f86552f94103685b8d8dc68cef5/satc-news2.png

Growing up, there was no doubt that I was a Samantha. When it came to my other high school friends, however, there was a lot more debate over who their Sex and the City counterparts were. While each of the show's four central women had their admirable aspects, they each also had flaws you definitely didn't want to be associated with — but none had as undesirable a reputation as Miranda (Cynthia Nixon). Nobody wanted to be a Miranda (except my mom, that is).

That has since changed. Now, my friends — and it seems our entire generation — are fighting over who gets to beMiranda. The traits that seemingly made Miranda the lowest on the social ladder before — her practicality, her prolific blazer collection, her prioritization of her career above all else — are seen as far more desirable than they were 21 years ago, when Sex and the City premiered, or even 15 years ago, when my friends and I were watching on DVD.

Teenager - Nothing - Miranda - Relationship - TiVo

When I was a teenager, I thought nothing was sadder than Miranda's relationship with her TiVo, as she'd spend her free time on the couch, ordering in and watching her favorite soapy dramas alone. This isn't just me projecting my own judgment on Miranda. The show wanted us to pity her in this scenario. And yet the second I hit my mid-twenties, I realized there is truly nothing better than doing just that. Miranda works hard, goddamnit. She deserves some time to decompress and get away from Carrie (Sarah Jessica Parker) chirping on about Big or Aidan or that time someone stole her shoes.

This flip in perspective has been a common experience for me while re-watching several shows from my youth. When I recently binged all of Gilmore Girls, for example, I realized that Rory...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: