One-on-One with Brianna Parker on African-American Millennials and the Church

jenn1020 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www-images.christianitytoday.com/images/90040.jpg?w=1200

On April 23 and 24, the Billy Graham Center Institute and the School of Mission, Ministry, and Leadership at Wheaton College will be hosting the inaugural Wheaton Mission & Ministry Conference. Our launching theme is Emerging Adults: Formation for Mission. We will feature top researchers, scholars, and practitioners across a variety of disciplines speaking into this issue. You can learn more and register here. Below, I talk with one of our presenters: Brianna Parker, Founder of Black Millennial Café.

Get weekly updates from The Exchange delivered to your inbox.

Ed - State - Christianity - Church - Adults—18

Ed: How would you describe the state of Christianity and the church among emerging adults—18 to 29-year-olds—today? What are their biggest questions, concerns, or motivations?

Brianna: It is an exciting time in the church and Christianity for emerging adults. It’s not an easy time, but it’s exciting. The church has, far too often, been bandwagoners who have followed trends as opposed to blazing cultural trails. I’m hoping to see believers begin to invest in the work of entrepreneurs who want to lead and trail blaze in the tech world.

Millennials - Courage - Lens - Question - Faith

It’s also exciting because we are engaging millennials with unprecedented courage to help us to lead from their lens. The biggest faith question is “why?”. Why does my faith walk matter? Why can’t my relationship with God look different than others in the past? Why can’t I engage God and others in new ways?

I believe the biggest concern is authenticity. This is difficult for many to hear because it shines a light on the dusty corners of our closets, showing the parts we did not expect to be unveiled.

Millennials - Mystery - Paradoxes - Lack - Limits

Millennials are motivated by the unknown; they plunge into mystery and paradoxes. The lack of limits and ceiling breakers are motivating and will benefit the kingdom.

Ed: You founded Black Millennial Café in part because you saw a glaring...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Exchange | A Blog by Ed Stetzer
Wake Up To Breaking News!
2KXVI