‘In Treatment’ Co-Creator Nir Bergman Discusses Series Mania Competition Title ‘Just For Today’

Variety | 3/24/2019 | elskes
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/photo_just-for-today_site.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

A creative force behind the hit Israeli series “In Treatment,” Nir Bergman is presenting his latest drama “Just for Today” in competition at Series Mania festival in Lille. Produced by Endemol Shine Israel for Yes TV, “Just for Today” follows Anat, an idealistic social counsellor who is dealing with the shutting down of a halfway house for former inmates where she’s worked for a long time, while Niko, a former lover she took care years before, unexpectedly comes back into her life.

Bergman, who wrote and directed “Just for Today” (co-created with Ram Nehari), spoke to Variety about the genesis, themes as well as political and social resonance of the series which is being represented internationally by Yes Studios. Besides co-creating “In Treatment,” Bergman has also written multiple episodes of the successful Israeli drama “Hostages.” Bergman’s film credits include “Broken Wings” which won awards at the Israeli equivalent of the Oscars, as well as at Berlin and Jerusalem, among other festivals.

Genesis - Just - Today

What’s the genesis of “Just for Today”?

The series began with a question. What would have happened to me if I had found myself in jail by mistake. I think this is a primal fear common to many people, but I didn’t want to make another crime or prison series. I wanted to create a series with elements of suspense and rehabilitation, a psychological drama.

Pitch - Series - Dealt - People - Jail

The first pitch for the series dealt with normative people who found themselves in jail by mistake, released and found it difficult to return to functioning in society. But then we started the research and it led me to new ideas, resulting in only one normative character in the story. Through our research we reached a prisoners rehabilitation hostel in south Tel Aviv and immediately I knew that I wanted to set the story there. The atmosphere was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!