How We Worshipped

Tim Challies | 3/24/2019 | Staff
abbycraig (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.challies.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Congregation2_Homepage_Image_2720x1270_06.jpg

Every few weeks I like to share an example of one of our worship services from Grace Fellowship Church. I do this simply to provide an example of how one church structures our time of worship, hoping it will prove a helpful resource to others.

This service’s cast of characters included Paul as the preacher, Brian as the lead worshipper, and myself as the service leader. Our band consisted of two guitars, bass, and piano accompanying a male and female vocalist. The various elements of the service are in bold with the name of the person who led the element in parentheses. Items in quotes represent roughly what the person said to the congregation. Items not in quotes are explanatory. The entire service lasted approximately 90 minutes.

Call - Morning - Psalm

“Our call to worship this morning is drawn from Psalm 66.”

Shout for joy to God, all the earth;

Glory - Name

sing the glory of his name;

give to him glorious praise!

Say - God - Deeds

Say to God, “How awesome are your deeds!

and sings praises to you;

Praises - Name

they sing praises to your name.

“If all the earth is worshipping God, if all creation is singing his praises, then we ought to join in! Let’s stand and behold our God together.”

God

“Behold Our God”

“Psalm 111”

Word - God

“Listen to the Word of God.”

Paul read Luke 10:25-37.

Reading - Luke - Chapter

“This reading was from Luke chapter 10.”

“Jesus once stood before a great crowd of people to explain to them how to live a blessed life. His words inspired this confession of our sin. I will read the parts marked ‘Leader’ while you read the parts marked ‘Church.’”

Leader - Spirit

Leader: “Blessed are the poor in spirit.”

Church: “Who exhibit humility before God and man.”

“Blessed are those who mourn.”

“Who are sorrowful and repentant for their sin.”

Meek

“Blessed are the meek.”

“Who treat others with dignity, patience, and gentleness.”

Righteousness

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.”

“Who pursue peace with God and man.”

“Blessed are...