Saying Goodbye to ‘Supernatural,’ The Show That Launched a Journalism Career (Column)

Variety | 3/23/2019 | Danielle Turchiano
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/sn1413b_0303bc.jpg?crop=0px,0px,3100px,1747px&resize=700,393

It truly is the end of an era.

The CW president Mark Pedowitz has sat on stage at the network’s Television Critics Assn. press tours for years now saying that “Supernatural” would go on for as long as its stars felt they had more in them. True to his word, Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki and Misha Collins announced on social media Friday that the long-running demon-hunting series would come to an end with Season 15.

Show - Network - Presidents - WB - Merger

“Supernatural” is a show that survived multiple network presidents, as well as the WB’s merger with UPN to become the CW. It revitalized TV tie-in merchandising, created a whole separate business around conventions, and launched the careers of dozens of writers and actors, and at least one journalist.

An assignment about “Supernatural” was the very first professional writing gig I ever booked. It was the spring of 2008 and I was just starting to seriously consider a career change after the writers’ strike kept me out of work for a few months and put the fear of not being able to eat or pay rent into me. During those months I began blogging, mostly because I didn’t yet have a dog at whom to yell my feelings about television — and being that I was not working, I had a LOT of time to watch and form opinions about television. It was also during this time that I first started watching “Supernatural,” admittedly, yes, seasons after it initially launched.

Jensen - Ackles - Days - Lives - Jared

Like many, I knew Jensen Ackles from “Days of our Lives” and Jared Padalecki from “Gilmore Girls.” Their casting in “Supernatural” during pilot season of ’05 did not escape me. But also admittedly, I wrote the show off as “just” a monster-of-the-week procedural. I had not gravitated toward genre programming in my youth, and I didn’t think that would change...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sorry Mr. Franklin, we couldn't keep it.