The 40-year-old former bus driver who plays college basketball and dreams of making the NBA one day

Mail Online | 3/20/2019 | Dailymail.com Reporter
penaert (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/20/16/11237046-0-image-a-22_1553099393254.jpg

In between 5am gym training sessions and 12-hour shifts driving a bus, you could count on seeing Dan Stoddard on the court at Algonquin College in Ottawa, Canada.

He's driven, dedicated, and - as a sophomore clocking in at 6ft 8in - easily the tallest member of the school's basketball team.

Thing - Stoddard - Years - NBA

There's just one thing - Stoddard is 40 years old. And he dreams of joining the NBA.

When Stoddard first walked onto the court as a member of the Algonquin Thunder, he could he hear snickers from the opposing team's players and coaches.

Show - Stoddard - Longreads - View

'People think it's a big show,' Stoddard told Longreads. 'I'm going to try to defy that. To change that view.'

'For those that love the game, they understand in a way what I am trying to do. For those that don't, they are snickering and laughing, maybe next year we beat them and the snickers stop. That's the plan.'

Stoddard - Dream - Reality - Team - Year

Stoddard has been working hard to make that dream a reality since he joined the team last year, juggling training, practice, and accounting classes with his job at OC Transpo, Ottawa's Public Transit System.

'All Dan cares about is getting better and better,' said Trevor Costello, the team's head coach. 'This f****r is constantly in pain. He's just so dedicated.'

'He - Ankle - Christmas - Shift - Bus

'He sprained his ankle before last Christmas, and after a 12-hour shift driving a bus, his foot down on the ground the whole time, his foot was the size of a watermelon.'

It's a goal that sounds crazy to most. Stoddard is trying to keep up with men half his age, not only for four full years of college ball, but in the big leagues as well.

'You - Lunacy - NBA

'You can call it lunacy,' he said. 'I'm not saying I'll make the NBA or go play overseas, but I want to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!