Giant, Weird-Looking Fish With 'Startled' Eyes Washes Up on Aussie Beach

Live Science | 3/20/2019 | Staff
ashb0101 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://img.purch.com/h/1000/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzEwNC84MjYvb3JpZ2luYWwvU3VuZmlzaC1hdXN0cmFsaWEtMy5qcGVn?&imgtype=.jpg

When a group of Aussies spotted the behemoth on the beach, they initially thought it was a rugged piece of driftwood. Upon closer inspection, however, they realized it was the body of an enormous, bony fish.

That's how they came face to face with the mighty ocean sunfish, known to scientists as the Mola mola. These fish can grow up to 11 feet (3.3 meters) long and weigh up to 2.5 tons (2.2 metric tons), according to National Geographic.

Sheer - Luck - Scientists - Video - Cuttlefish

By sheer luck, scientists capture the first-ever video of fighting cuttlefish in the wild while on a research dive in the Aegean Sea.

Jones is a supervisor of a cockle-fishing crew, which drives that stretch of beach for work. "I'm always getting sent photos of what they find, but it's mostly sharks and seals," Grzelak told Live Science. "Saturday night [March 16], I got sent the sunfish and thought it was fake. I had no idea what it was."

Ocean - Bony - Fish - World

Ocean sunfish are among the largest known bony fish in the world.

These fish are rarely seen in that neck of the woods, in South Australia at the mouth of the Murray River, which is the longest river in Australia. But M. mola fish have a wide range; they're known to live all over the world, mostly in temperate and tropical waters.

Size - Sunfish - Humans - Animals - Jellyfish

Despite their size, ocean sunfish do not prey on humans. Instead, they feast on small and soft animals, like jellyfish and zooplankton, according to a 2010 study in the journal Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries. However, Jones said he "has heard stories over the years about sunfish sinking yachts in races and the damage they do...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Live Science
Wake Up To Breaking News!