Warren Wants to Eliminate the Electoral College, Which Would Cause Havoc in Our System

Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion | 3/20/2019 | Mary Chastain
Kezzerxx (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Elizabeth-Warren.png

I wouldn’t call our Founding Fathers perfect, but man did they leave us one of the greatest documents penned in the English language. Their brilliance provided America not only with the Bill of Rights, but with the Electoral College.

Grumbles about the Electoral College have existed for a long time, but after President Donald Trump defeated Hillary Clinton, its elimination shot to the top of the Democrats list of issues in their campaigns.

Sen - Elizabeth - Warren - Electoral - College

Sen. Elizabeth Warren proclaimed her wish to abolish the Electoral College at a recent town hall, but I don’t think she’s given it much thought to the mess this would create.

Before I dive into the importance of the Electoral College, let’s look at Warren’s remarks. She told CNN’s Jake Tapper:

Amendment - Right - Citizen - Vote - CNN

“I believe we need a constitutional amendment that protects the right to vote for every American citizen and makes sure that vote gets counted,” she told a CNN town hall in Jackson — noting presidential candidates didn’t tend to campaign in states like Mississippi, which are not Electoral College battlegrounds. “And the way we can make that happen is that we can have national voting and that means get rid of the Electoral College.”

Politico explained:

Pact - Effect - States - Votes - Election

The pact would only go into effect if enough states sign on to pledge the 270 electoral votes necessary to win a presidential election. With the addition of Colorado last week, states with a combined total of 181 electoral votes have committed to the pact.

Critics of a national popular vote argue that the Electoral College ensures presidential candidates won’t focus on major population centers like the East and West coasts, where voters skew Democratic.

Criticism - Basis - Fact - Candidate - President

The criticism has some basis in the fact that the Democratic candidate for president has won the popular vote in four out of the last five general elections but has lost the presidency...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion
Wake Up To Breaking News!