Surgeon who treated girl, 4, after Christchurch terror attack breaks down as he describes ordeal

Mail Online | 3/20/2019 | Zoe Zaczek For Daily Mail Australia
tiffcourt011tiffcourt011 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/20/12/11226954-0-image-a-54_1553086337513.jpg

A surgeon who operated on a four-year-old girl critically injured in the Christchurch terror attack ran to surgery for the first time in his life to treat the young victim.

Adib Khanafer, a vascular surgeon at Christchurch Hospital, received a desperate call while in a planned procedure on Friday and automatically knew the situation was serious.

'This - Call - NZ - Herald

'This was a totally different call ... it said ''come now'' and ''where are you'' and ''how far'',' he told the NZ Herald.

'This is the first time I have run to theatre.'

Dr - Khanafer - People - Country - Attack

Dr Khanafer had not yet learnt that almost 50 people were shot dead in the country's worst terrorist attack in history.

Dozens more were being rushed to the same hospital to be treated for their horrific injuries.

Dr - Khanafer - Tears - Harrowing - Ordeal

Dr Khanafer broke down in tears as he described the harrowing ordeal almost a week later.

The surgeon said he entered the operating theatre to find the four-year-old girl with serious gunshot injuries lying on the table.

Victim - Surgery

He said it was 'really sad' to see such a young victim needing desperate surgery.

The young girl had already been on the table for 45-minutes but Dr Khanafer's vascular expertise was needed for the damage around her pelvis.

Dr - Khanafer - Display - Speaking - NZ

Dr Khanafer apologised for his emotional display when speaking to the NZ Herald and explained the situation felt all the more real as the father of four children aged between seven and 14.

'It could have been my boy, it...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!