Varsity Blues: Admissions Scandal Confirms That College Isn't for Everyone

Parenting | 3/16/2019 | Megan Fox
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://static.pjmedia.com/parenting/user-content/48/files/2019/03/AP_19072011366875.sized-770x415xt.jpg

When I was eighteen, I won a scholarship to the Chicago College of Performing Arts at Roosevelt University. I wanted to go. My dad refused to send me to a "fruit school," as he called it. Years later, after wasting thousands of his dollars by dropping out of ASU (because I didn't go to class—a fact I'm not proud of) we had another moment to talk about what went wrong. I asked him again why he didn't want me to go to Roosevelt and he repeated, "That's a school for fruits." I looked at him and said, "Dad, when are you going to realize I am a fruit?" He laughed and nodded a few times and then admitted that I was right. We came to an understanding that day that it's never a good idea to stop your kid from following their path in favor of the one chosen by parents.

That's what I keep coming back to with this college admissions scandal, especially in regards to actress Lori Loughlin's daughter Olivia Jade. Olivia was clearly trying to tell the world she didn't belong in college, had no interest in it, and was already set up to be an "influencer" and YouTube celebrity. College would only give her prestige, not a career...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parenting
Wake Up To Breaking News!