New Zealand Mass Shooter Will Have Justice but Not Infamy: 'We Will Give Him Nothing. Not Even His Name.'

PEOPLE.com | 3/19/2019 | Staff
shardonay (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/jacinda-ardern-1.jpg?crop=0px,0px,2700px,1417.5px&resize=1200,630




New Zealand’s prime minister vowed Tuesday to give not a single shred — not one second or one syllable — of recognition to the man who attacked two local mosques last week, killing 50 people.

“You will never hear me mention his name,” Jacinda Ardern told Parliament in her first address there since the mass shootings on Friday, the deadliest in the country’s modern history.

Friday - Afternoon - Darkest - Days

“That quiet Friday afternoon has become our darkest of days,” she said.

Ardern called the killed a “terrorist,” “criminal” and “extremist.”

Others - Names - Name - Man - Them

“But he will — when I speak — be nameless,” she continued, “and to others I implore you: Speak the names of those who were lost rather than the name of the man who took them.”

“He may have sought notoriety,” Ardern said. “But we in New Zealand will give him nothing. Not even his name.”

Shooting - Woman - People - Husband - Wheelchair

Among those slain in the shooting was a woman trying to save other people including her husband, who is confined to a wheelchair, according to the woman’s nephew.

Husna Ara Parvin, 42, went with her husband to mosque last Friday as she did every Friday, her nephew Mahfuz Chowdhury told The Daily Start of Bangladesh, Husne’s country of origin.

Chowdhury - Account - Paper - Parvin - Woman

According to Chowdhury’s account to the paper, Parvin went to the woman’s mosque while her husband, Farid Uddin Ahmed, went to the men’s mosque. When gunfire erupted in the men’s mosque, Parvin rushed to the scene and was fatally shot while Ahmed survived.

Chowdhury said the couple settled in New Zealand sometime after 1994.

Ardern - Tuesday - Suspect - Man - Murder

Ardern said Tuesday that the suspect, a 28-year-old Australian man accused of murder, will face other charges. “The families of the fallen will have justice,” she said.

The suspected shooter appears to have circulated a rabidly anti-Muslim and white supremacist manifesto before the attack, at the Al Noor and Linwood mosques in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!