Netflix’s TV Cancellation Strategy, and How ‘One Day at a Time’ Might Stay Alive

/Film | 3/18/2019 | Ben Pearson
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/Netflix-TV-cancellation.jpg

The beloved Netflix series One Day at a Time was cancelled last week, and there’s still technically a chance it could get picked up elsewhere – but a new report indicates that it almost certainly won’t be snapped up by a rival streaming service. Read on to learn why, and to get a glimpse into the financial reasoning that goes into Netflix’s TV cancellations.

Netflix is famously secretive about its viewership numbers, and like most other entertainment companies, it’s also fairly quiet about the specifics of its contracts. But a new report at Deadline is shedding some light on Netflix’s practices.

Streaming - Service - Live-action - Marvel - Shows

When the streaming service cancelled all of its live-action Marvel shows, we wrote about how there were deals in place that would prevent those shows from jumping to a rival network for two to three years. I thought that might have been specific to the initial, highly-publicized Marvel deal from several years ago, but this new report says that stipulation applies to all Netflix TV shows that come from other studios, meaning everything not produced in-house. The site suggests this may be why we haven’t seen the critically-acclaimed comedy series American Vandal picked up by any other company since Netflix cancelled it last year.

However, the contract for One Day at a Time, which was produced by Sony TV, not Netflix, is apparently slightly different: while the show can’t jump to a rival streaming network for that same 2-3 year period, it seems like the door is open for it to be picked up by a traditional broadcast network or even a cable network.

Top - Reports - Netflix - Details - Deadline

I try my best to stay on top of reports about Netflix and how they operate, but I’ve admittedly never heard these details before. According to Deadline:

It is widely known that Netflix employs a “cost-plus” model, offering to pay...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!