Church Planter, Joy Is a Fight

The Gospel Coalition | 3/19/2019 | Staff
xxlauzyxx (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/18152104/abide-acts291.jpg

As a college student I was driven and ambitious, determined to make a name for myself. This led to a relentless pursuit of academic and extracurricular success. But, at the end of the day, I was restless and dissatisfied.

During this season, a fellow student handed me a book called Desiring God. The author, a man I’d never heard of, boldly stated his thesis: “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him.” Little did I know, but this idea eventually led me to drastically change my life plans. I deferred law school to spend a year in seminary. I needed to see, for myself, if this audacious claim could be true.

Year - Everything - Joy - Satisfaction - Jesus

In that first year of seminary, everything changed. I’d found fresh joy and satisfaction in Jesus, which spilled over in a desire to share this same message that was transforming me. Such joy propelled me through seminary, on into student ministry, and eventually into church planting.

So there I was, an idealistic young pastor with a passion to plant joy-filled churches. What could possibly go wrong?

Church - Planting - Conviction—that - God - Glory

Little did I know that church planting would test this conviction—that God’s glory could be my deepest joy—in ways I never would’ve expected. As the grind of church planting began, it didn’t take long for me to notice how utterly circumstantial my joy was. Whether it was my fundraising abilities, the size of our new church, the effect we were having in our city, or how well I’d preached on Sunday, I was up and down like a roller coaster.

As the grind of church planting began, it didn’t take long for me to notice how utterly circumstantial my joy was.

Light - Story - Guard - Seduction - Church

In light of my own story, I probably should’ve seen this coming, but I was caught off guard by the seduction of church...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!