Susan M. Weber: Reframing evaluation

www.faithandleadership.com | 3/19/2019 | Staff
baileyboo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.faithandleadership.com/sites/default/files/field/image/Weber-evaluate_m.png

Why do religious organizations find evaluation work so mysterious? What do they need to help them appreciate the importance of evaluation and to do evaluation well?

I asked these questions when I first began coaching new grantees of the religion division of Lilly Endowment Inc. As I sat alongside grantees, I often noticed a hesitation and reluctance about embarking on evaluation. It wasn’t as if evaluation was a new idea. Rather, I realized that the mere word “evaluation” raised less-than-pleasant memories that limited their openness to this work. Grantees wondered: Is my work being judged? Will someone form an opinion about the merit or quality of our program?

Memory - Evaluation - Experience - Moment - Someone

Indeed, how many of us hold a memory about an evaluation experience gone bad or a moment of being judged or of having someone else’s opinion supersede our own?

At the heart of the word “evaluation” is “value” -- to find the value of -- and this notion guides my evaluation coaching work to this day. At its most effective, evaluation is an activity of valuing and learning from one’s work, not a judgment. Principles such as collaboration, inquiry, learning, curiosity and mutuality guide such an approach to evaluation.

Projects - Aim - World - Difference - People

This evaluative lens recognizes that projects are conceived with the aim of creating good in the world and ultimately making a tangible difference in people’s faith lives. It also changes the tone and character of the questions one asks:

How is our program/project making a difference in the lives of young people, pastoral leaders, teachers, students or other target audience? How do we know?

Conditions - Result - Program - Knowledge - Actions

What conditions will change as a result of our program? What new knowledge is being gained? What new actions are being taken as a result of our program, and why? What new attitudes are being formed?

Such purposeful questions engage stakeholders’ curiosity and allow them to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.faithandleadership.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: