PSYCHEDELIC PORTRAITS MADE WITH A HUNK OF BEVELED GLASS

WIRED | 3/18/2019 | Laura Mallonee
darktm22darktm22 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://media.wired.com/photos/5c804f69e025d708de930903/191:100/pass/01_MikaylaWhitmore_Holly.jpg

These trippy, colorful portraits look as though they've been run through a dozen different effects in an editing app. They haven't. Actually, the only filter Mikayla Whitmore used to create them was a a 4-foot-tall hunk of beveled glass, which her subjects couldn't resist smooshing their faces against.

"I think every person ended up licking the glass or just smearing their entire face against it to get really interesting color fields with the makeup and sweat mixing," Whitmore says. "I used a lot of sanitary products between shoots."

Idea - Year - Job - Photojournalist - Las

The idea hit Whitmore last year after she quit her job as a photojournalist in Las Vegas and took a trip to Taiwan. Exploring a wacky, space age housing development, she noticed an elaborately cut glass window on an entry door that instantly pixelated anyone who walked behind it. "It was so mesmerizing," she says. "If there was a way I could have purchased or shipped home that exact window, I would have."

It took a while to track down something similar—the first glass shop she called in Las Vegas quoted her $500 for a 7-foot-tall beveled piece she had no idea how to safely use. After a couple weeks, a production designer in Los Angeles helped her find something roughly half that size for just $80. She happily lugged it to the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIRED
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It's a fight to the death, which you will eventually lose...
Tagged: