'We need to get a grip': Philip Hammond's rallying cry to MPs as he backs Theresa May

Mail Online | 3/18/2019 | Rory Tingle For Mailonline
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/17/12/11102232-0-image-a-36_1552824948799.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/03/14/2681081562900415525/1024x576_MP4_2681081562900415525.mp4

Philip Hammond has urged rebel Tory MPs to 'get a grip' and back Theresa May's Brexit deal next week or risk never leaving the EU.

Responding to a question about four Cabinet ministers ignoring a three-line whip and abstaining on Wednesday's vote to rule out no deal Brexit, he told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show: 'I think a line has been drawn under that now.

PM - Cabinet - Grip - Discipline - Country

'The PM was very firm in Cabinet that we need to get a grip on our discipline to get the country through a very difficult process.'

Mrs May angrily criticised David Gauke, Amber Rudd, Greg Clark and David Mundell for not backing the government on the no deal vote at a Cabinet meeting on Thursday.

Cabinet - Ministers - Whip - Decision - Posts

Cabinet ministers would normally be expected to resign for defying a three-line whip, the strongest one possible, and their decision to remain in their posts angered Brexiteers .

Tory MP Mark Francois telling Sky News: 'The collective responsibility has disintegrated - you might as well tell the whips to pack up and go home. The government is barely in office.'

Marr - Mr - Hammond - Reports - Tuesday

On Marr, Mr Hammond appeared to reject reports he had discussed abstaining on Tuesday's vote, saying 'I don't think so'.

He added: 'I voted with the government, I've always voted with the government. I didn't change my mind.'

Today - Mrs - May - MPs - 'patriots

Earlier today, Mrs May begged MPs to act like 'patriots' and vote for her Brexit deal if it makes a third showing on Tuesday or Wednesday - as it emerged the EU is 'war-gaming' for the fall of her government.

Mr Hammond told Marr a vote on Brexit would 'not definitely' happen - as he refused three times to rule out whether he had offered more money to the DUP to back Theresa May's deal.

'We - Deal

'We will only bring the deal back if we are...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!