Where Were You? ‘Apollo 11’ Takes Us Back to 1969

The Gospel Coalition | 3/16/2019 | Staff
camkizzle (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/14123645/apollo-11.jpg

Where were you when Apollo 11 landed on the moon? If you were alive and old enough to process the events of July 20, 1969, you doubtless remember. The surreal “one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind” moment of Neil Armstrong stepping onto the lunar surface left an indelible impression upon everyone who watched it.

My dad was 20 at the time and remembers watching it on a hot, humid night in Elmhurst, Illinois. My mom was a touring violinist that summer and remembers watching it in Morristown, New Jersey. My uncle listened to it on the radio while driving on the Pacific Coast Highway in Southern California. My wife’s parents were in New York City and watched the iconic moment in perhaps the most iconic setting possible: Times Square.

Memory - Event - Course - September - Life

I have no memory of the event, of course (I was born in 1982). September 11 is my life’s major “where were you?” moment. But I grew up hearing people describe the significance of the moon landing, a profound moment I would love to have been alive to witness.

Thankfully, a spellbinding new IMAX documentary, Apollo 11—released in time for the moon landing’s 50th anniversary—offers viewers an immersive experience that brings that historic moment to life in the present. Watch the trailer below.

Cinema - Gifts - Time - Travel - History

One of cinema’s greatest gifts is that it allows for time travel. Whether by dramatizing history or envisioning the future, movies transport us back and forth in time, allowing audiences to experience distant eras and occurrences otherwise inaccessible to them. Documentary cinema, using the real footage of history, can do this with particular power.

Peter Jackson’s recent World War I documentary, They Shall Not Grow Old, takes viewers back in time by restoring century-old archival footage from the actual trenches. It’s a haunting movie to watch, because it really...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It had only one fault, it was useless.