Who Attends the Chrism Mass?

The Deacon's Bench | 3/15/2019 | Staff
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/03/top-ChrismMass.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/03/top-ChrismMass-768x391.jpg

A reader sent this my way, and thought it was unusual. I have to agree. It appears that in this particular diocese, only priests will be attending the Chrism Mass with the bishop; deacons, religious, seminarians and other members of the faithful will take part in Evening Prayer later on, after which the oils will be distributed.

It’s a great day.

Something - Places

But this is something new and different to me. Any other places do this?

Details, from the Diocese of Manchester:

Oils - Bishop - Chrism - Mass - Parishes

…After the Oils have been blessed and prepared by the Bishop at the Chrism Mass, they are distributed to the parishes and institutions of the diocese. Two representatives from each parish and institution are chosen and sent to receive the oils from the Bishop at Solemn Evening Prayer, held on Tuesday, April 16th at 6:30 p.m. at St. Joseph Cathedral. This ceremony is open to the public and the faithful are encouraged to attend.

Please note that this year the Chrism Mass and Solemn Evening Prayer with the Distribution of Oils are two distinct ceremonies. Priests will be gathering with the Bishop for the Chrism Mass separately and will then gather with the deacons, religious, seminarians, and faithful for Solemn Evening Prayer and the Distribution of Oils in St. Joseph Cathedral on Tuesday, April 16th at 6:30 p.m.

Experience - Chrism - Mass - Packed - Rafters

In my experience, it’s always thrilling to attend the Chrism Mass in a cathedral packed to the rafters with the people of God — priests, deacons, seminarians, religious sisters, visitors from other rites, RCIA candidates, plus countless ordinary folks gathering to celebrate the local church. In Brooklyn, all the faithful are invited (and a special invitation is extended to deacons and their wives.) Hundreds of clergy — priests and deacons— don their diocesan vestments and renew their promises. Your heart can’t help but swell with gratitude...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Deacon's Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: