When You Do Not Know What to Do

Desiring God | 3/8/2019 | Dave Zuleger
Traight (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/when-you-do-not-know-what-to-do-zjksjeg8-en/landscape/when-you-do-not-know-what-to-do-zjksjeg8-397918a9b7109888ade2e2b770667a7a.jpg?ts=1552329966&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

When was the last time a trial came so swiftly and forcefully that you did not know what to do?

My wife has lived in chronic pain for eight years. Recently, however, she woke up one morning with new health concerns that brought another hard, confusing, and frightening reality — a heavy one laid on top of the one we’re already living with day to day. We had just moved to a new home, and were going to a new church. I was the new pastor of that church. Our newborn was only six weeks old.

Armies - Circumstances - Husband - Father - Off-balance

We felt like the armies of our circumstances were closing in around us with nowhere to go. As a husband and father, I felt completely off-balance. No one could encourage me. I felt helpless to help my wife, overwhelmed by the weight of her suffering. Why, God? Even after years of her chronic pain — and seeing the good God does through it — I felt like I was back to square one of faith, just clinging by a thread. I was supposed to be pastoring others, but I felt like I could speak but one word to God: “Help.”

Around that time, I found a story of a king who felt helpless to protect and care for the people he was responsible for. A king also overwhelmed with fear. King Jehoshaphat finds out that there is a “great multitude” coming soon to attack his people (2 Chronicles 20:1–2) — an army they know they cannot compete with on their own.

Attack - Army - Door - Circumstances - Life

Most of us will never feel what he felt; we will never literally be under the attack of a great army marching up to our door. But we can all relate to overwhelming circumstances in our life that make us feel trapped, helpless, and certain we won’t...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.