An MIT Professor Meets the Author of All Knowledge

ChristianityToday.com | 3/15/2019 | Staff
cv2angels (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www-images.christianitytoday.com/images/89923.jpg?w=1200

As early as grade school, when I was a voracious reader and a straight-A student, I identified with being smart. And I believed smart people didn’t need religion. As a result, I declared myself an atheist and dismissed people who believed in God as uneducated.

Get the best from CT editors, delivered straight to your inbox!

School - Classroom - Debate - Team - Form

In high school, I led a classroom debate team arguing for a godless form of evolution, confident my side would win because “this was science.” When the class voted and awarded victory to the creation side, I was dumbstruck. Most people didn’t understand science, I figured—either that, or they were unduly swayed by the most popular girl in class. She had a swimming pool in her backyard and threw fun parties.

Just a Phase?

Couple - Tack - Bible - Person - Book

Eventually, the couple tried a different tack. “You know,” they said, “going to church is not what matters most. What matters is what you believe. Have you read the Bible?” I figured that if I wanted to be an educated person, I needed to read the best-selling book of all time. The doctor suggested starting with Proverbs, reading one chapter daily for a month. When I first opened the Bible—this was the King James Version—I expected to find phony miracles, made-up creatures, and assorted gobbledygook. To my surprise, Proverbs was full of wisdom. I had to pause while reading and think.

I quietly bought a modern translation called The Way and read through the entire Bible. While I never heard actual voices or anything to justify summoning a neurologist, I felt this strange sense of being spoken to. It was disturbing yet oddly attractive. I began wondering whether there really might be a God.

Way - Bible - Experience - Readers - Time

I decided to work my way through the Bible again, thinking that perhaps my experience was common for first-time readers. This time...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChristianityToday.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...