COLLEGE PRESIDENT VETOES SUSPENSION OF ISRAELI STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM

The Daily Caller | 3/15/2019 | Staff
max1max1 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Israel-rally-e1552650387887.jpg

The president of Pitzer College vetoed a resolution to suspend the college’s study abroad program at University of Haifa in Israel on Thursday night after the College Council overwhelming voted in favor of it.

Pitzer President Melvin Oliver announced he would veto the suspension hours after the council’s 67-28 vote.

Actions - College - Council - Decision - Oliver

“I fully respect the actions of the College Council, thus I do not make this decision lightly,” Oliver said in a press release.

“By singling out Israel, the recommendation itself is prejudiced. We do not solve one injustice by committing another. If implemented, the recommendation would unnecessarily alienate a large cross section of the College’s constituencies,” he continued. “The reputational harm to the College would be irreparable and as president of this institution, I cannot permit that to happen.”

Complaints - Israel - Boycott - Divestment - Sanction

Oliver highlighted one of the main complaints with boycotting Israel, and of the boycott, divestment and sanction (BDS) movement, which is that it singles out one country for not living up to a certain set of standards.

“This shows a failure...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Caller
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Goverment, no matter how big, is always a big problem.