Salma Hayek candidly details how she battled sexism and racism

Mail Online | 3/14/2019 | Charlotte Dean For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/14/16/10987674-0-image-a-17_1552580961118.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/01/08/1607371321777996364/1024x576_MP4_1607371321777996364.mp4

Salma Hayek has revealed how she made it in the show business industry despite battling both sexism and racism as she tried to make a name for herself.

The 52-year-old actress landed her first acting role in America four years after moving from Mexico in 1991, when she was offered a part starring alongside Antonio Banderas in 1995's Desperado.

Mother-of-one - Vogue - Hollywood - Sexism - Advantage

The mother-of-one told Vogue that she used Hollywood's sexism to her advantage in a bid to tackle the racism she faced while trying to forge her way as an actress.

Salma said that portrayed herself as a 'sexy character' that Hollywood would be more willing to accept while trying out for jobs as an actress in America.

'I - Racism - Sexism - Salma - Naysayers

She said: 'I battled racism by using their sexism,' says Salma of navigating all the naysayers back then. 'So I invented this sexy character. That was what [Hollywood] was able to open up to, that's how I went in.

'I remember understanding this, and making a choice: 'Am I degrading myself?' I didn't sleep with people. It was just that this was something they could understand. In their head, the audience is attracted, and with this me on the screen, they could forgive the accent. So, I said, 'OK I can do that.'

Salma - Plan - Beauty - Juice - Company

However, Salma wasn't so sure her plan to portray herself so differently would work, as she reveals she started both a beauty and juice company, because she was ready to be dismissed by Hollywood.

Rationalizing her thinking, she said she thought: 'You're not going...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!