Rupert Wyatt Says ‘Fantastic Four’ Box Office Disaster Killed ‘Gambit’ Film With Channing Tatum

IndieWire | 3/12/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/shutterstock_9192201ai.jpg

Channing Tatum has been trying to get a “Gambit” movie off the ground for at least four years now. Numerous directors have signed on and dropped out of the project, including “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” filmmaker Rupert Wyatt. The director boarded “Gambit” in June 2015 and by September was off the film. In a Variety report at the time, Wyatt’s exit was said to be the result of a “changing script” that “caused the film’s budget to balloon.” It turns out only half of that scoop was true.

In a new interview with ComicsBeat to promote his upcoming film “Captive State,” Wyatt revealed his “Gambit” movie was killed because Fox cut the budget with just several weeks to go before production. The decision forced script changes to be made that just didn’t make much sense for the project. Interestingly enough, the main reason Fox slashed the “Gambit” budget was because of the high profile failure of Josh Trank’s “Fantastic Four.”

Channing - Tatum - Partner - Reid - Carolin

“I was very close with Channing Tatum and his producing partner Reid Carolin, and I was on the script with him and Josh Zetumer as a writer,” Wyatt said. “We were close, I believe 10 weeks away. It simply came down to budget. There was not enough. You know all too well about the politics of the business. ‘Fantastic Four’ had been released by Fox a month before and had not gone well for them, so...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!