Captain Marvel comes to the rescue of the UK box office

the Guardian | 3/12/2019 | Charles Gant








Posting the biggest weekend debut at UK cinemas since The Avengers: Infinity War nearly 11 months ago, Captain Marvel has arrived to rescue the sector from the box office doldrums. The superhero film has begun with £12.75m from 655 cinemas: the biggest ever three-day opening for a Marvel standalone debut.

Last year, Black Panther began with £10.5m for the three-day weekend period, although three days of previews pushed the opening number to £17.7m. In October 2016, Doctor Strange debuted with £9.29m, including previews of £3.8m. Opening numbers for the first Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Ant-Man films were all lower. Deadpool began in February 2016 with £9.97m for the three-day weekend period and £13.73m including previews.

Absence - Hits - January - February - Consumer

The absence of any other giant hits in January or February should have stoked consumer demand for blockbuster entertainment. Conversely, the deflated market deprived Disney of vital marketing opportunities: there were fewer cinemagoers to be shown the Captain Marvel trailer on the big screen.

While DC Comics’ Wonder Woman was a big global hit, grossing $413m in the US and $822m worldwide, the film underperformed in the UK, reaching £22.2m. Any fears that the female-powered Captain Marvel might suffer the same fate have been allayed. In April 2018, Avengers: Infinity War began with £23.1m for the three-day weekend, finally reaching £70.8m. A similar trajectory would take Captain Marvel to around £39m.

Captain - Marvel - % - UK - Box

Captain Marvel grossed 68% of the entire UK box office at the weekend, with the other 189 titles on release (tracked by data gatherer Comscore) sharing the remaining 32% of the pie. Globally, the film began with $457m.

Achieving the highest site average of any film in the UK top 15 apart from Captain Marvel is Everybody Knows, the latest from Iranian director Asghar Farhadi (A Separation). The film, which is the director’s first in Spanish, has...
(Excerpt) Read more at: the Guardian
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It is time to put away the our toys and propaganda we've been taught as children and think for ourselves.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!