The 12 Best Movie Cats of All Time — IndieWire Critics Survey

IndieWire | 3/12/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/goosethecat-blogroll-1551733410083-1280w-1551990377836_1280w.jpg

This week’s question: In honor of “Captain Marvel” star Goose the cat (and Tom Hooper’s forthcoming “Cats,” for that matter), who is the greatest movie cat of all time?

“The Aristocats”

Lindsey - Romain - @ - Lindseyromain - Staff

Lindsey Romain (@lindseyromain), Staff Writer for Nerdist

As a cat lover, it pains me to admit there isn’t a ton of great cat content out there in pop culture land. A lot of movies with prominent cats are either depressing or silly or the cat is barely involved. That’s why I’m going to go with Disney’s “The Aristocats,” about a trio of French kittens, their dainty mother, and the feral tomcat – Thomas O’Malley the Alleycat – they meet once they’re forced to the streets. The cats are all adorable, the songs are catchy, and it’s 90 minutes of pure, celebratory cat content.

Oralia - Torres - @ - Oraleia - Cinescopia

Oralia Torres, @oraleia, Cinescopia, Malvestida

After reading this week’s question, there was not only one cat that came to my head: it was several, at least 5 of them. They all sing and dance, of course, and have the adventures of their lives after the butler of their rich, old owner -who, by the way, remains as one of the most aspirational fictional old ladies movies have given us- tries to kill them to get their inheritance: the Aristocats! The 1970 Disney movie remains a classic, and has the cool advantage of having so many different cats on screen, with most of them singing along to one of the best jazz-infused soundtracks of all times. This film also has one of the best Spanish dubbings ever, with Germán Valdés dubbing for Phil Harris as Thomas O’Malley –O’Malley del arrabal– and Teresita Escobar dubbing for Eva Gabor as Duchess. Its main theme (‘Everybody wants to be a cat’) was improved to ‘Todos quieren ser un gato jazz’ and it is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!