The Most Important Decision I’ve Ever Made as a Pastor

ChurchLeaders | 3/8/2019 | Staff
marika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/3.9.HOME_.CC.MostImportantDecision.jpg

The church I’m serving as pastor just bought a new property for $1.1 million in the heart of Northwest Arkansas. We spent a lot of time praying over that decision and it felt like a huge step. But it wasn’t the most important decision I’ve ever had to make as a pastor.

I once left a senior pastor position to join the staff of one of America’s most influential churches. My wife and I decided, while there, to give the next season of our lives to planting a church.

Messes - Situations - Transitions - Ministries

We’ve walked through messes and sticky situations. We’ve experienced transitions. We’ve started (and ended) new ministries.

But none of those compare at all with the size and scope of a single decision I made way back in 1995.

Wife - Angie - Tug - Holy - Spirit

I was 17 and dating my future wife, Angie, and feeling the tug of the Holy Spirit to consider giving the rest of my life to vocational ministry. Her father and my pastor, Danny Kirk (who now serves as Community Pastor at Grace Hills), gave me a book that would shape my view of God and the world around me more than any other outside the Bible: Standing on the Promises, the autobiography of W. A. Criswell.

Dr. Criswell was often described, by both himself and others, as a “holy roller with a PhD.” You can listen to hundreds of his sermons via the Criswell archive and you’ll notice that he’s often loud and very emotional, but minutes later, he’s quoting Shakespeare or explaining a little quantum physics.

Hereby - Declare

Related: I Hereby Declare, I Believe the Bible!

In other words, he was a passionate genius who believed pastors should be as well-versed in biblical theology and history as any brain surgeon would be in neuroscience. But he was also widely read and had no fear of encountering worldviews radically different from...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: