Trinity Baptist ‘Turns Itself In,’ Apologizes to SBC, Greear, Victims of Abuse

ChurchLeaders | 3/8/2019 | Staff
shuadah (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/CL_IMBPresident_PaulChitwood_642x428.jpg

It’s been almost a month since the Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News published their expose´on the Southern Baptist Convention’s track record of handling sexual abuse cases in its midst. The pastor of Trinity Baptist Church in Ashburn, Georgia, has come forward with an apology.

“Recently I have come to realize that I failed my duty as pastor in not taking action against an individual who had been accused of child abuse in the past at another church. This was because of my long‑standing friendship with the accused,” Pastor Rodney Brown wrote in a statement to the Christian Index.

Brown - Staff - Member - Question - Trinity

Brown says the staff member in question, Trinity’s minister of music, has been fired and asked not to come back to the church. This is not the first time the person in question (Brown and others have not used the person’s name due to the fact that he was not convicted of a crime) has been fired. According to the Baptist Press, Brown said in “2013 or 2014,” the music minister confessed to having molested a young teen decades earlier while at another church. Brown told BP he fired the staffer “right there on the spot” but allowed him to continue attending and being a member of the church. Eventually, other church leaders convinced Brown to give the person the music minister position back, citing an apparent repentance and lack of suspicious behavior. Now, Brown sees this decision as a mistake.

In the most recent statement, Brown writes:

Victims - Actions - Mr - David - P

I have injured the victims of the accused by my actions, especially Mr. David P, who brought this to my attention. I have spent much time before God repenting for my actions. I now ask David P and the other victims for forgiveness for my acting so irresponsibly.

I also must ask Southern Baptist Convention President Dr. J.D....
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!