Transcript leak: Inside Facebook's secret crisis meeting, where Zuck and Sheryl race to save social network's rep

www.theregister.co.uk | 3/7/2019 | Staff
srqlolo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2018/12/20/shutterstock_mark_zuckerberg.jpg

World exclusive We have obtained a transcript of a secret crisis meeting held last week between top executives at Facebook, including CEO Mark Zuckerberg and COO Sheryl Sandberg, hammering out a corporate response to the social network's non-stop rollercoaster of scandals. We present it here unedited.

Mark Zuckerberg: Hi everyone. So the reason I wanted us all here was to… Well, last week, as you know, I gave an interview to some Harvard Law professor. So we all thought this was a good idea because he's not a journalist and wouldn't ask precise questions.

Coverage - Product - Camera - People - Lounges

So I thought it went pretty well. But then I read coverage of it and it all centered on me not knowing about some product we have that has a camera in it, and it sits in people's lounges. So this headline reads: "We don't want a camera in everyone's living room, says bloke selling cameras in living rooms..."

Unknown exec: You mean the Portal?

Zuckerberg - Portal - Someone - IPad - Software

Zuckerberg: That's it: Portal. I'd never heard of it. When I got back here, I asked someone to get me one: it's like some cut-price iPad. I don't understand. We're a software company – why are we trying to sell hardware? How many have we sold of them anyway?

Unknown exec 2: We're on schedule to hit our sales targets.

Zuckerberg - Wow - Thing - Argument - Camera

Zuckerberg: Wow, that bad? Why don't we just scrap this thing, and I can get back to making my argument about not wanting a camera in everyone's living room.

OK, that's settled then. Let’s just kill this Portal. Yes? Agreed?

Sheryl - Sandberg - Wise - Decision - Mark

Sheryl Sandberg: I think that's a wise decision, Mark, but maybe let's not rush it. Perhaps we can undertake an internal review. There are some potential crossovers with the Portal and our core revenue drivers.

Zuckerberg: Such as?

Sandberg - Commitment - People

Sandberg: Well, as you know, we recently made a commitment to allow people...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!