Why journalists will keep using the word “Mormon”

Religion News Service | 3/7/2019 | Staff
AnnieFoxx (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Im-a-Mormon-So-am-I.png

This week, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced that it has renamed its core websites and social media accounts to reflect the full name of the institution.

Among the changes:

Church - Website - ChurchofJesusChrist - Org

The church’s official website, which has been lds.org, has been changed to ChurchofJesusChrist.org.

The Mormon.org website, which is geared for visitors rather than members, will be changing as well, though it’s a bit unclear how; the Newsroom announcement says that Mormon.org will eventually be merged “with the Church member-focused ChurchofJesusChrist.org,” while the First Presidency letter to church leaders says it will be “changed to ComeUntoChrist.org.”

Church - Media - Accounts - Institution - Name

The church’s various social media accounts will be altered to reflect the institution’s full name and “emphasize the name of the Savior’s church.”

These adjustments follow a strongly worded admonition from President Russell M. Nelson in the church’s October General Conference, in which he anathematized the church’s own longstanding use of the word “Mormon” to describe its members.

Years - Church - Use - Word - Mormon

Although several years ago the church itself was heavily promoting the use of the word “Mormon” through its “I’m a Mormon” branding campaign and the church-produced film Meet the Mormons, Nelson stated in October that “to remove the Lord’s name from the Lord’s Church is a major victory for Satan.”

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I’m happy to avoid using the word “Mormon” at church, at home, and in my family. I can easily try to substitute “I’m a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” for “I’m a Mormon” in my personal conversations and church lessons.

Columnist - Religion - News - Service - Mormon

As a columnist for Religion News Service, however, I will continue using “Mormon” in headlines, articles, and columns. I will also continue using “LDS” as shorthand after using the church’s full name upon first reference to it as an institution. This is the style guide...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!