Game of Thrones' Final Season Is a Mystery to George R.R. Martin, Too

TVGuide.com | 3/6/2019 | Amanda Bell
cute16 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2019/02/19/6461c238-70b2-4370-8d8c-b2dbc092dea5/thumbnail/1300x867/bfb864752710e45e9a61b281723a5deb/gots8-news.jpg

You might think George R.R. Martin would be among the lucky few who know what's ahead in Game of Thrones' final season, since, you know, he wrote the book series that inspired it. As it happens, though, the A Song of Ice and Fire author is just as much in the dark as everyone else about what's to come when winter finally descends on Winterfell — almost.

As part of Entertainment Weekly's sprawling new Game of Thrones issue, the magazine talked to Martin about the fact that since the tail end of Season 5, showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have been largely on their own as they push the story forward. In the chat, the author revealed that at least one iconic scene from the new seasons was his idea — Hodor's backstory — and that he's consulted about a few other key plot points. But since the show has now surpassed the events of his book series, which he's been busy writing, Martin hasn't had time to find out what'll happen in the screen version.

Scripts - Set - Winds - Winter - Things

"I haven't read the scripts and haven't been able to visit the set because I've been working on [The Winds of Winter]," he said. "I know some of the things. But there's a lot of minor-character [arcs] they'll be coming up...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!