New Blu-ray Releases: ‘Creed II’, ‘The Favourite’, ‘The Craft’, ‘Burning’, ‘Skinner’, ‘The Standoff at Sparrow Creek’, ‘Between Worlds’

/Film | 3/5/2019 | Chris Evangelista
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/FotoJet-2.jpg

Last month, Samsung announced they would no longer produce Blu-ray players. It gave physical media fans – like me, and presumably you, if you’re reading this column – pause. The reasoning could be because Samsung’s 4K technology has been subpar in compared to others. Or it could spell the beginning of the end – a sign that Blu-ray will soon go the way of VHS. It’s not a pleasant thought. For now, Blu-ray is here, and I can only hope it’s here to stay. For now, let’s treasure it while it’s still around. And what better way to do that than by reading a few thousand words I’ve cobbled together on the latest new releases? These are the new Blu-ray releases and their special features you should check out this week and beyond.

Creed II doesn’t pack as much of a punch as the first Creed (see what I did there?), but the electric cast once again keeps you energized. Michael B. Jordan reminds us once again that he’s a damn good movie star as he returns to the role of Adonis Creed, and now that Tessa Thompson is (rightfully) more famous, her role has been expanded greatly. Sylvester Stallone continues to do the best acting of his career playing the older, slower, sadder Rocky. In this sequel, Adonis decides to step into the ring to fight Viktor Drago (Florian Munteanu), the son of old Rocky opponent Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren). Adonis has severely bad blood with the Dragos, since Ivan killed Adonis’ father Apollo in the ring. I can’t say I’m a fan of this borderline revenge plot, but everyone here sells it well. The Dragos, and their relationship, could’ve easily fallen into generic bad guy territory, but there’s an actual emotional through-line that pays off. Steven Caple Jr.’s direction...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
You can never use the word unexpected when it comes to abuse of power by the government.