Peter Bogdanovich Talks His Controversial Love Life, Disliking Cher & Why He Turned Down ‘The Godfather’

The Playlist | 3/4/2019 | Charles Barfield
AavyAavy (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Peter-Bogdanovich-Cher-Mask.jpg

You really can’t argue that filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich is one of best directors of his era. Responsible for films like “The Last Picture Show,” “Paper Moon,” and “What’s Up, Doc?” to name a few, the director has experienced the highest highs that Hollywood has to offer. And of course, he’s also experienced some of the lowest lows, particularly in his personal life, which is covered extensively in a new Vulture interview.

The interview covers Bogdanovich’s entire career, as well as his storied personal affairs with various actresses and other women. If you’re only familiar with the filmmaker’s actual career output, then clearly you only know about a tenth of the whole story.

Line - Filmmaker - Bulk - Interview - Women

In one line, the filmmaker is able to sum up the bulk of the interview, when he says, “Well, I like women. I don’t know if I’m particularly good at women.”

Many of Bogdonavich’s films have had strong female characters, with some of the best actors ever on screen. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that the filmmaker is the best at understanding women, which he readily admits.

Affairs - Actress - Cybill - Shephard - Filmmaker

Speaking about one of his early affairs, with actress Cybill Shephard, you can see why there has always been drama surrounding the filmmaker’s personal life. “I was very attracted to her,” said the director about his “The Last Picture Show” star. “The first shot in the movie theater, when she comes up the aisle and in her close-up she says, ‘What are y’all doing back here in the dark?’ — just before that, we had been sitting in the theater, and she was in the row ahead of me. I said to her, ‘I don’t know who I want to sleep with more, you or [Shepherd’s character] Jacy.’ She actually blushed, and they said, ‘Okay, we’re ready, Cybill,’ and that shot was done right after...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!
What's more plentiful, hydrogen or stupidity?