Mother promised daughter puppy to calm her during surgery and now the pup competes at Crufts

Mail Online | 3/4/2019 | Claire Toureille For Mailonline
j.moomin (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/04/10/10551060-0-image-a-35_1551696514485.jpg

A mother promised her daughter a puppy to calm her during brain surgery because doctors said 'she wouldn't remember anything' - and now the youngster and her pet dog are competing at Crufts.

Louise Gibbs, from Droitwich Spa in Worcestershire, was terrified when her seemingly healthy daughter Ella Gibbs, then 10, was rushed into emergency brain surgery just 12 hours after having a unexpected seizure.

Doctors - Louise - Mark - Gibbs - Anything

Doctors suggested that Louise and her ex-husband Mark Gibbs say anything they could to keep their little girl calm as it would likely be completely forgotten during the gruelling 13-hour surgery.

But as she came round, Louise, 51, claims the first thing Ella said was 'Mum, dad, where's my white puppy?'. Ella was gifted her eight-week-old puppy Lulu just nine days after she returned home, and the pair became best pals.

Shih-poo - Ella - Surgery - School

The Shih-poo even snuggled up to Ella as she recovered from her surgery and accompanied her when she returned to school.

Six years on, Ella, now 16, and Lulu compete in agility trials together and have even qualified for their first ever Crufts competition next month.

Louise - 'The - Team - Calm - Anything

Louise said: 'The surgical team just said, "Keep her calm, promise her anything because she won't remember anything because we've given her stuff to help her through surgery.

"You can promise her you will fly to the moon, that you'll go to Florida tomorrow, that you'll have five puppies - anything".

Puppy

'Ella very quickly said, "I would like a little white puppy", and that was it. We thought we would hear no more of it.

'At that point she was struggling to put words together. Because she had major brain surgery we were told that she might not be able to talk or move post-surgery.

'But she literally just laid there and said, "Where's my white puppy?". That was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!