Ask Dr Ellie: Can a herb diet help my heart?  

Mail Online | 3/4/2019 | Dr Ellie Cannon for The Mail on Sunday
Goobee (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/02/15/10492526-0-image-a-15_1551540871909.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/08/04/6957006476733428599/1024x576_MP4_6957006476733428599.mp4

I had the aortic valve in my heart replaced 24 years ago. Although my surgeon said I would need another operation after a decade, I still feel fine. I visited an alternative doctor who tells me herbs will keep me well – is he right?

The aortic valve controls blood flow from the heart into the main artery that serves the rest of the body and it can malfunction in two ways. Either it is tight and rigid, preventing blood flow from the heart to the body, or it leaks, allowing blood to flow back to the heart.

Age - Valve - Disease - Build-up - Calcium

With age, aortic valve disease is common, as a build-up of calcium prevents it opening and closing. But both types of aortic valve disease can lead to life-limiting heart failure which is why problems are treated aggressively. Aortic valve replacement, either with a valve made from animal tissue or a mechanical one, is the most effective treatment. A mechanical valve replacement can last as long as 25 years and animal valves about 15 years.

Replacement usually involves open-heart surgery. No medications, conventional or herbal, are proven to repair the valve or prevent complications.

Monitoring - Valve - Heart - Scans - Echocardiograms

Rather, strict monitoring of the valve via heart scans called echocardiograms are undertaken and surgery is offered quickly.

A good lifestyle is important to protect the valve but it is not proven to prevent severe complications or negate the need for surgery.

Allergy - Syndrome - Fruits - Vegetables - Eczema

I've recently been diagnosed with oral allergy syndrome triggered by fruits and vegetables. I also suffer with eczema and hives, which often requires an antihistamine jab. Are the three linked and what foods should I avoid?

Oral allergy syndrome results in an itchy, red and inflamed throat after eating certain foods, making meals painful and bothersome. Intriguingly, it is a food allergy most common in people with pollen allergy, also known as hay fever....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: