Ian McKellen Delivers Extensive Apology for Spacey and Singer Comments

IndieWire | 3/3/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Ian-McKellen.jpg

Ian McKellen faced public scrutiny late last week after comments he made on the #QueerAF podcast, in which he claimed that alleged crimes perpetrated by actor Kevin Spacey and director Bryan Singer were the result of them having to live life as closeted gay men.

Given McKellen’s history of working with both Spacey and Singer and his joke that “I’m waiting for someone to accuse me of something,” the Oscar-nominated actor was criticized in multiple online venues, prompting a response from the man himself.

Statement - Media - Weekend - McKellen - Comments

In a statement posted to social media this weekend, McKellen retracted those comments and apologized for what he said was a remark that was “clumsily expressed.” “I deeply regret my careless remarks and apologise unreservedly for any distress I caused,” McKellen wrote.

McKellen closed his post by stating, “When it comes to abuse by people in positions of power, the correct response is clear. The accusers must be heard and the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!